When deciding how to get from Calgary to Jasper, just remember that you are in for an adventure no matter how you go. The drive is beautiful and engaging, with spectacular natural diversity in the landscape depending on the season you arrive. Jess from travel blog A Passion and a Passport called it “one of the most impressive drives of [her] life”. If Jasper is your destination for a holiday, take the time to consider the details of your transportation. It’s worth it.
There are three main ways to get from Calgary to Jasper: by car, bus, or private vehicle charter. Read on to learn more about your options and make the right choice for your trip.
By Rental Car
The Calgary Airport has a number of on-airport rental companies you can access across the roadway from the Domestic Terminal at the Departures Level.
Driving from the airport to Jasper town centre takes about five hours, depending on traffic and weather. Take Highway #16 (the Yellowhead Highway), which will lead you right to Jasper National Park.
Rental Car Pros
- Start and pause the journey on your schedule.
- Maintain your COVID-19 ‘bubble’.
- Have access to a vehicle once you arrive at your destination.
Rental Car Cons
- Unreliable road conditions (higher traffic in summer, ice and snow in winter) can make for a stressful journey, particularly if you are not familiar with the territory.
- The hassle of finding parking once you make it to your destination.
- The logistics of returning the vehicle.
- Limited number of people per vehicle.
Assess road and weather conditions before you go. The National Geographic suggests that “the best time to drive this mountainous route is June to September, however, it’s also the busiest travel season. Consider making the trip in late May or early October instead, and check out local weather conditions before you go”.
For local weather conditions, visit 511 Alberta.
For traffic conditions from Calgary to Jasper, visit AMA Road Reports.
Bus services to Jasper include heightened COVID-19 protocols to ensure a safe and secure journey for each passenger. You can view the bus schedule and book online, making it easy to plan your transportation ahead of time.
- Stress-free transportation – leave the roads to the pros.
- Guided journey through the Rockies – learn about the area as you make your way to Jasper.
- Accommodates large groups.
- Starts and pauses on a schedule.
- Less privacy than a rental car or private charter.
Bus travel makes it easy to get groups of all sizes from Calgary to Jasper with ease, safely. At Sundog Tours, our bus drivers double as guides, making each journey interactive and informative. With the guidance of Alberta health officials, our COVID-19 guidelines continue to be top of mind for our staff in providing you with a safe experience onboard our transportation vehicles.
By Private Vehicle Charter
For the best of both worlds, look at hiring a private vehicle charter for your drive to Jasper from Calgary. Choose from an SUV, sedan, or shuttle bus, depending on the size of your party and preference. Your driver doubles as a guide for the region, giving you insights into the ecology and natural monuments of this magnificent portion of the Canadian Rockies.
Private Vehicle Charter Pros
- Maintain your COVID-19 ‘bubble’.
- Start and pause on your schedule.
- Travel privately with a larger group, without COVID-19 reductions in capacity (up to 29 people).
- Take in the sights with a professional guide as your driver.
Private Vehicle Charter Cons
- Limited availability.
Whether you’re planning a wedding in Jasper or family holiday, private transportation provides the flexibility and relaxation to enjoy the moment while you travel.
Ready to book a bus or private charter with Sundog Tours? Call us to get started!